Wednesday, April 9, 2008

You are what you eat...

I really am appalled by what people put in their grocery carts. As long as I can remember, I've had a fascination with what people buy at the grocery store. The other day as I was shopping, I couldn't help but notice this woman with a baby loading her cart full of refined sugars and junk food. I didn't see a single fruit or vegetable in the cart...and it was pretty full! I try hard not to judge others, but when it comes to food it's pretty easy to make a healthy choice. Why not try whole wheat bread instead of white? Unsweetened applesauce instead of sweetened? Real fruit instead of fruit snacks? 70% dark chocolate bars (eating 1 oz servings) instead of ho-ho's? You get my drift? No wonder so many people are overweight. If people truly believed "you are what you eat", would they really eat so much junk? Now, I love food as much as the next person, but everything in MODERATION. You've got to keep moving and burning calories. I don't mean to come across preachy, it was just on my mind...that's what you gotta love about the blogosphere!

Oh, and super great run this morning!
5 miles, 40:18, 8:04 pace, 600 calories burned-so far my best pace yet!!!
I feel like I could conquer the world...

3 comments:

Slacker Mama said...

I'm a cart-checker. I'm also a tray-checker in the cafeteria.

I was so annoyed the other day because I picked up a "sugar free" fruit cup pack...and it had freaking SPLENDA added. I mean, isn't fruit sweet enough on it's own to not necessitate splenda in it. Sorry to rant on your post...

And great run! 600 calories, eh? Maybe I need to take up this running thing...

marathon mom said...

I am so a cart checker as well!!! It is AMAZING what I see some people getting. We eat nice and healthy here- I have overheard people talking out how glad they are they don't live in my house, as they fill their cart up with Coke, ice cream, Fruit Loops, chips, and not a healthy choice in sight! We do have treats here and there, but they are not part of our shopping routine. If we get ice cream, it is a special trip to the store.

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Chronic cart-checker here too. I am waaaaay too judgemental.